detail content area
- Date2020-01-26 11:36
- Update2020-02-02 13:26
- DivisionDivision of Risk assessment and International Cooperation
○ The Korea Centers for Disease Control and Prevention(KCDC) has confirmed the third imported
case of 2019 novel coronavirus(2019-nCoV) from Wuhan, Hubei Province, China on 26 January
○ The case is a 54-year-old Korean male living in Wuhan. He came to Korea on 20 January
for a temporary visit and did not have any symptoms when entering the country. Two days
later, he experienced fever and chill but felt a little better after taking a fever medication.
However, on 25 January, he reported to KCDC Call Center at 1339 of having cough with
sputum. Upon his reporting, the local health facility investigated and classified him as patient
under investigation(PUI). He was then tested in isolation at the national designated isolation
hospital and confirmed as positive for 2019-nCoV on 26 January.
○ KCDC pointed out that the patient was fully aware of what to do upon the onset of
symptoms and followed well the guidance given by the local health facility. The in-depth
epidemiological investigation is currently underway, and the result will be shared with the
○ As of Jan 26, 2020, three cases have been confirmed as positive for 2019-nCoV in Korea,
and 47 out of 48 PUIs in total were released after diagnosed as negative and one case is
currently being tested.