detail content area
- Date2020-09-14 15:24
- Update2020-09-14 15:24
- DivisionDirector for International Affairs
OPENING OF KOREA DISEASE CONTROL AND PREVENTION AGENCY
September 14, 2020
□ The opening ceremony for the launch of Korea Disease Control and Prevention Agency was held at 10 a.m. on September 14, 2020.
* Korea Centers for Disease Control and Prevention has been reorganized as an independent government agency and renamed Korea Disease Control and Prevention Agency (KDCA)
* KCDC Director Dr. JEONG Eun Kyeong will head KDCA as newly appointed commissioner
* In observance of Social Distancing Level 2, the ceremony was held with limited number of attendees
○ The new KDCA will include National Institute of Health (NIH), National Institute of Infectious Diseases (NIID), Regional Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (RCDCs), National Tuberculosis Hospitals, and National Quarantine Stations.
○ With the increased autonomy and size (384 more staff members), KDCA will head the nation’s infectious disease response efforts with greater responsibility and authority.
□ The agency will continue to focus on containing the resurgence of COVID-19 with strengthened capacity including:
○ Hiring more epidemic intelligence officers and training and education of epidemic intelligence officers
○ Research and development efforts related to infectious diseases including clinical trials and vaccine development support, through the newly formed National Institute of Infectious Diseases (NIID)
○ Supporting local response efforts in closer coordination through the 5 Regional Centers for Disease Control and Prevention
□ In addition to COVID-19 response, KDCA will play a stronger role in general infectious disease monitoring, analysis, response, and prevention.
○ Call center function (1339) to be integrated as the comprehensive Emergency Operations Center, allowing 24-hour monitoring and rapid response in case of infectious disease emergency
○ Stronger data analysis and prediction capacity through the newly formed position of Director General for Public Health Emergency Preparedness
○ Stronger vaccine supply management, healthcare-associated infection control, and antimicrobial resistance management capacity
○ Stronger anti-tuberculosis efforts including clinical research and treatment of drug-resistant tuberculosis through National Tuberculosis Hospitals
□ KDCA will also play a stronger role in general disease prevention and control including addressing various known threats to public health such as chronic diseases and climate change as well as unknown threats such as rare diseases.
○ Newly formed position of Director General for Health Hazard Response will work on everyday health hazards such as heat waves and cold waves, particular matter, and injury as well as responding to diseases of unknown causes.
□ National Institute of Health will have strengthened capacity in areas including bio bigdata, artificial intelligence in medicine, and precision medicine.
□ At the opening ceremony, KDCA Commissioner Dr. JEONG Eun Kyeong said, “I feel heavy sense of duty as the first commissioner of Korea Disease Control and Prevention Agency. In response to public confidence and support, KDCA will focus on COVID-19 response with highest priority.”
○ Regarding the agency’s general role, the Commissioner said, “From infectious diseases to chronic diseases, KDCA will protect people’s health and safety with expertise and innovation.”